8.27.2008

You Never Know



I had the oddest experience that I think is a lesson in reaching the viewer. I had painted a King Charles sleeping on top of a Cocker Spaniel and sent it off to the gallery that shows my work in Ohio. I was told by the gallery owner it was noticed and commented on regularly. But it hung for six months without a sale, and I decided it was time to pull it in favor of a piece that might do better.


Once the piece was shipped back to me I re-examined it for a show here in New Mexico. Only hours before leaving to hang the piece I decided to alter the King Charles, and make him awake.
The piece sold in three hours.
Now I keep looking at it, trying to decide was it the change in eyes or the change in location or ?? I shall never know.

1 comment:

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I think it does have to do with the change in the eyes. It gives the viewer a way to directly connect with the animal. As 'contrived' as that may seem...